This post is part of a series of posts in a guide to introducing Elementary School students to blogging written by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano found here.
Although there are different blogging platforms, the basic logistics of formatting a post are common among most of them.
Silvia uses WordPress, as the blogging platform for her personal as well as all our classroom blogs. For this project we will be using Edublogs virtually identical to WordPress..
Add a New Post
You can directly type in the text of your post or you can copy (CTRL-C) and paste (CTRL- V) them from somewhere else. I would recommend pasting them first into “Notepad” or “Wordpad” in order to remove any kind of previous formatting. Microsoft Word is notorious for adding lots of code, that will be hard to tweak for your post.
How to bold a text?
- Just highlight the text you want bold.
- Click on the “B” button in the toolbar.
How to insert a link?
- Just highlight the text you want linked (will add the blue underline).
- Click on the “linked chain” in the toolbar, a new window will pop up
- Enter the URL (Internet address).
- Click insert and you have created the link.
How to add a Quote?
- Type the entire quote in the body of the post.
- Highlight the text you want quoted.
- Click on the quotation button in the toolbar
How to use bullets?
- Click on the number or point bullets button in the toolbar
- Start typing your first bullet
- Use the “Enter” key to get to your next bullet
- Click on the number or point bullets button in the toolbar again , when you are done entering bullets.